How to Find a Contractor for Your IKEA Kitchen Project

Request my free IKEA kitchen budgeting eBook

Quite a few people write me asking for help finding a contractor in their area. I can sometimes find a past design client who is nearby and who will share their contractor info. But, given how many cities, even countries, we provide design services for, it's hard to cover every area.

Still, we try, so write me and I'll try to help. If you are in the Southern California area, I have many clients and excellent contractor referrals for you.

What to do if there doesn't seem to be an IKEA installer or a general contractor who knows IKEA products in your area? Should you use the IKEA store-provided services? Two good questions.

First, insofar s IKEA store services, which I've written about earlier in this blog, I would never recommend them as a first choice. Most important is to know that each store has it's own local service companies, or perhaps several stores in an area use the same service company. But always those companies are fairly small, local contractors who have managed to secure some sort of relationship with IKEA. There is no guarantee that they will provide good service at a good price, and IKEA does stand behind their work. You have to hire and contract with these providers just as you would any other contractor. These IKEA-referred providers do have pricing set by IKEA for installation of IKEA products, but for other work, like electrical and plumbing or wall repair, flooring, etc., these companies will often subcontract the work and the prices may be higher than average since they have you hooked, if you get my drift. 

It's always worth making a few calls to find an independent, licensed general contractor that has good references and whose license data you can check on your state' contractor board website. ALWAYS do this. It is not difficult, and it is completely socially acceptable, to do a thorough check into a person you are hiring to come into your home, tear it apart in ways they determine, and who you expect to pay thousands of dollars. 

Personally, I don't give much credence to online reviews, Angie's list, and those sort of things. This is because there is always a profit motive behind them. I much prefer to make calls, talk to real people, and see how they respond. Do they answer calls or emails quickly? Do they seem sane and honest? I feel that my own perceptions are trustworthy and I recommend you trust yours. The only other resource you need is knowledge of local contractor and home repair laws and rules. 

Susan